Tuesday, May 14, 2013

the day I bought myself a promise ring

Okay so there were many times I told myself I needed to do something about my weight...

There was the day that a guy left me in the hallway crying, so I stopped eating for two weeks
There was the time in Starbucks when a lady asked me "when I was due..."
There was the time I got called an oompa loompa or heffer.
The multiple shoppings trips that ended in tears.
The prayers I said as I tugged up a pair of jeans.
Then, there was the breakup.

But there was a much more simple moment when everything clicked.
When I found the inspiration to get on the wagon and never get off... even if I am hanging on by my finger nails, bouncing and bleeding behind the wagon, I'm not letting go.

 
This ring, represents that promise that I gave to myself.
When I was in Santa Monica, on vacation with my bestie. We of course visited Tiffany's & Co.
My obsession with bows was apparent as I was attracted to anything in the shape.
I love rings, and always have.
When I broke up with Guy, I felt naked without my promise ring.
This was a perfect way to replace that!
 
 
I'm not really sure I really believed in promise rings when I got one.
I liked the thought of someone promising me they would be faithful and support and love me.
But in reality, a ring is just metal. It does symbolize something, but it doesn't mean you'll be together forever.  
Now I believe in them... but because I made this promise to myself.
This ring represents to me a new beginning and a fresh start.
I have learnt so much over the past almost two years, and am so Thankful that I have.
The saying, "You have to love yourself, before you love anyone else" is way too true.
This ring, tied in a metal knot, means that I promise myself I come first.
 
Before I started blogging, I had a running Word document that I typed everything into...
This is what I wrote about when I got my Tiffany's ring home:
 
I promise to love me, through the good times and bad.
I promise to create a healthy lifestyle.
promise to ride out the binge eating nights, and teary next days.
I promise to forgive myself when I stumble.
I promise to practice gratitude for the body I have and it's ability to move with me through change.
I promise to myself that before I let someone love me, I will practice self love first.
I promise that this is my day to change.
 
The weight loss journey, trail, path, ride, skip, run, whatever you choose... is not only about the number on the scale.
It's the feeling when you finally click.
When the light comes on and you crave better for yourself.
A month ago, I didn't understand this.
I didn't get it when Skinny Megs and Mama Laughlin, or any other weight loss blogger I follow explained that it just has to click. You have to hit rock bottom.
Until it happens.
My inspiration for losing weight, is the end result.
The healthy me.
And knowing that I've battled through weight loss all for me and no one else. 
 



2 comments:

  1. I am in LOVE. How awesome! What a cute ring and what an amazing way to make a promise to yourself, to fulfill yourself, and find yourself in the process! *hearts*

    katie@thecarbmonster.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie!
      I'm so proud of all of us "10 weekers!" we really are working out butts off and it is really cool to know that complete strangers can support each other!

      Thanks for the follow, and I'm happy to see you at my blog land!
      Have a great day!

      Delete