Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Helpful Hints & My go to's

Hi Friends!
I hope y'all had a great weekend! I had my parents down from FM and we had a great visit, including a family friends wedding.
We had a blast! We also officially all booked our plane tickets to Orlando for my Half Marathon.
Que shitting my pants. {EFF}

Today I'm writing about some of my favourite go-to's, and helpful hints that I've learned over the past little while through weight watchers & picking up advice.
{Some of this may work for you, some of it may not...}

Fall/Winter are my favourite seasons! I love to be cozy in bed with tea & movies or a good book.
This year, I have a slight change... although I love to be cozy in bed, I also have this enormous desire to run in the mornings. A cool run is my favourite! Which is why I love to run in the rain.
I've been feeling a little under the weather with cold/allergies, but as soon as I'm back to 100%, I'll be taking advantage of the brisk downtown mornings! YAY Long sleeves!!!!

First up:

{Crock Pot Three Bean Turkey Chili!}
Skinnytaste.com is one of my favourite sites for WW recipes!
It has such a good variety of things to make - super simple and easy for non-cookers like myself.
Last night, I browned up the turkey with some onions in the pan.
Chucked it all together with the other ingredients, and set the slow cooker for 6 hours and 30 mins.
VOILA.
I have Chili! Perfect for fall weather and a hearty meal to have when you just don't feel like cooking!
This meal freezes great, too!

My other go to for Sunday night meal prepping, is {Eating Right Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna!}
I buy mine when they go on sale at Safeway. This is pretty much a staple in my freezer during the fall and winter.
I'm a huge fan of lasagna... and yes, this is vegetarian... but its down right delicious!
I throw it in the oven when I know I'm not going to have a lot of time for dinner's during the week.
It has 4 rolls in the pan. Since I'm normally just cooking for one, this is great!
Somedays, I'll split the roll in half and take it as a light side.
A whole roll is filling for me, but light enough that you don't feel bloated and gross afterwards!
1 roll - 6 points.

{Tomato Basil Rice Cake with Tuna & Salsa}
This one came to me from my bestie! And it's nothing short of finger lickin' good!
A can of tuna, mixed with salsa (FREE!) topped on a Tomato Basil rice cracker, with a sprinkle of cheese for good measure!
Toaster oven that baby, or microwave, whatever is accessible.
Super delicious lunch idea!
Depending upon the cheese and tuna you use, this recipe can be as low as 5 points!


{Black Pepper & Garlic Salmon}
This is a really easy recipe... legit.
Put a salmon fillet into a pan, sprinkle some black pepper & garlic on top.
Bake for 5-10 minutes (depending if the fillet is frozen or fresh).
Eh, Voila!
I normally pair this with rice and either asparagus or broccoli!
Delicious!

Now for some go-to's when I'm in the snacking mood...

~ Almonds! YUM! yes, they are high in points, but also a great source of calcium and a light little filler for the mid morning hunger pains!

~ Banana and PB! A staple for me. Remember WW friends, a banana is TWO servings of fruit!

~ Ryvita - dried cranberry & pumpkin seed is my favourite. I take two LIGHT laughing cow wedges (1 point for two wedges) and spread onto two ryvita slices. This snack totals 3 points! *I sometimes even have this for lunch with my ziploc of cut up veggies!*

~ Fruit - of course, any time of fruit is a great snack!

~ If I'm craving something sweet, I indulge with a popsicle. I'm not sure why, but I'm slightly obsessed with the red, blue and white rocket popsicles... Cyclones are my favourite - 2 points for those bad boys!

~ Crispy Mini's!!!!!! My savour - Double check the points, because they do change... but YUM! A great little delight for your afternoon snack.

Breakfasts
I eat my breakfast at my desk once I get to work!

; Oatmeal {3 points for the quaker instant maple and brown sugar}
; Spinach Smoothies {4 points with Activia yogurt and almond milk}
; Boiled Egg Whites {Egg whites are 1 point, if you eat the yolk it's 2}
; Apple & Cheese {Low fat marble cheese is 2 points}
; Yogurt & berries {Activia yogurt 2 points}

I kinda went backwards there... #YOLO.


Something that has really helped me is WATER!!!
I love water already, so this one isn't tough for me... but seriously! Up that intake!
Tea is a great way to flush out your body, especially helps with digestion after lunch.
My favourite flavors are Peppermint, Lemon and Lemon Zinger!
I have an embarrassing collection of water bottles, but I use them all.
I keep one at my desk {24 oz.}, and it's filled 4 times a day.
Drink, drink, drink!
Just don't drown!




That's all, Happy Tuesday...
Guess what tomorrow is????



2 comments:

  1. Great tips, and I've been meaning to try that turkey chili! I just made Skinnytaste's Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and it's AWESOME (and I hate spaghetti squash).

    Out of curiosity, how did you get 3PP for the Quaker Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal? There are a number of entries at both 3PP or 4PP if you search for it on WW, but if you manually calculate the PP (for both the regular instant and the "weight control" version) it's 4. Just wondering, because that's a staple for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Carolyn!
    My best friend made the spaghetti squash recipe and we are HOOKED! Isn't it delicious?

    That's interesting that we both have different points for the Oatmeal... I'll have to double check when I get home! I could very well be wrong :S
    Thanks for that - and I'll let you know what my research finds!

    ReplyDelete