Friday, October 25, 2013

That time I made a turkey...

Alright so, a lot of my posts are firsts.
The first time I could look in the mirror and love myself.
The first time I fit into a pair of jeans.

But this one... I something I'm REALLY proud of.
I'm your typical girly girl.
That's not to say that I don't like camping, or getting down and dirty when given the chance.
One thing about me, is that I don't particularly enjoy to cook meat for myself.
This has been a challenge since I've moved out.
I've come up with some creative ways to get my protein so that I don't need to touch fish, chicken, beef... or anything of the sort.

This year, when my Social Committee at work brought up the Thanksgiving lunch, they were unsure that there would be a turkey lunch!
I stepped up real quick and said I'd make the turkey.
*ahem... think before you speak* I'm still working on this one...
The day rolled around a lot faster that I wanted.
I somewhat knew from watching my parents cook them over the years what I was doing, but it didn't really hit me until a day or so before that I actually had to touch this thing.
My hand, needed to go into the body cavity of a turkey.
LAWD JESUS.

I started with a little pep talk.
To the turkey.
"Listen, I don't want to do this to you, and I know you don't particularly enjoy that you no longer have a neck or head, etc. But I'm going to make it quick and painless..."
I get it. The turkey doesn't have feelings... but it still bugs me. So just go with it. #stillsingle
This next part... was when I burst out laughing.
I opened up the turkey to find bread crumbs and a smell of yummy seasonings...
Not what I had expected from a naked bird.
Turns out, I bought a pre-stuffed turkey! Great if you needed the stuffing... which I did not.


I took a recipe by Gordon Ramsay (suggested by a co-worker) and went with it.
I made a lemon, garlic & parsley butter to slide under the turkey's skin, which warranted a "I'm sorry little buddy..."
The body cavity was stuffed with 2 yellow onions and 1 lemon, then I stuffed some bay leaves in the surrounding areas.
I drizzled olive oil over top so that the butter didn't burn the turkey's skin #spf60
I put that sucker in the fridge and headed to bed.

My alarm went off at 3:30, I turned the oven on to 220 and put the turkey in for 15 minutes.
It came out crackling and a lovely golden brown colour.
I then lined the top of the turkey with bacon.
You heard me.
I continued to baste the turkey juice over top of the bacon and turkey every hour, until 10:30 when the meat thermometer told me it was FINTO!

Turns out, I kicked ass at cookin Turkey!
My co-workers said it was the best turkey yet!
I've been voted as Turkey chef for years to come!
I am SO proud of myself.
So logically, I took a photo of myself. : )







No comments:

Post a Comment