Friday, September 20, 2013

Cricket...Cricket...

So... we had this "exciting" little "Build a Team Charter" thing today at work...
All I can say is, it started at 8:15 and ended at 11:45.
Can anyone else say SCORE?!

I enjoy these things - I realize not everyone does.
But the way I look at it, I didn't really have to work this morning and still got paid for it...
AmIRight?!


Anywho, to explain the title... this building a team charter business was all about creating a positive, supportive and honest team, so that we all felt comfortable working towards the common goal.
**YAHOOO!!!!!
A bit of background information... team meetings mean silence while the boss talks.
... keyword? silence.
I don't think I know what that is? Silence.
Huh?

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm outgoing (I used to think it was negative), I'm also friendly, don't mind speaking in front of people and would WAY rather be talking or making a joke then have 18 other people just blankly staring, with stone cold looks on their face in... silence.
NOT COOL.
I first learnt this at my first team meeting... I was asked to speak on behalf of the Social Club about an upcoming BBQ.
Upon making some, what I found giggle worthy, jokes... I looked up to see all of my co-workers staring blankly back at me.
Crickets, does not cut it.

I realize that some people just wanted to get out of the meeting... BUT COME ON PEOPLE.
Can I just have a smile of acknowledgment that you heard me?
Sheesh.

Back to this charter bullshit.
Here I am, in this room full of people - who would rather slit their wrists - and it's silent.
So I start making jokes.
Thank GOD, my table finds me funny.
I told some stories about how I've made a complete fool of myself - knowingly - and that seemed to ease the tension.
By this time though, it was only 8:30. Efffffffff.
I gotta make it through to 11:45? HOW?

We did an exercise with a big tarp with holes cut all over it.
We all stood around it, and the objective was, when the trainer put a ball on top of the tarp... you could not let in fall through the holes.
Here's an example of when I find myself funny... but no one else does.

Trainer: Alright everyone, get on the tarp.
Me: Okay Rhonda, *pretending to literally get on the tarp* but I really don't see how this tarp is going to hold us all.

I look up.
Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.
No smiles. Aca-ackward.
Shit this tarp business is fo reals with these peeps...


Needless to say, I made more jokes for the rest of the morning.
Sarcastic ones. (When asked what my purpose is in my job... "Make Money, Get Bitches!")
I talked a lot.
To the point of the Trainer saying "Boy, you sure have lots to say..." (Yeah, Rhonda... I do. What's it to ya?)
But best of all...
I made some people on my team ACTUALLY laugh.
WINNING.

I realize that sometimes this kinda behaviour is inappropriate.
And I do know that there is a place and a time - I'm pretty good at not being obnoxious about it.
But man, I love to laugh. I love to make other people laugh.
I can't get through a day without laughing.
And why should you?
Stop and Laugh people... Life is toooo short to stare blankly at someone as hilarious as me.





No comments:

Post a Comment