Thursday, July 11, 2013

A welcome addition

When I was eleven, my brother started bringing this girl around.
She was tall, and beautiful.
A dancer & piano player.
She was kind, compassionate and calming.

Slowly, she started to be around more and more.
Ian and my movie nights had an extra person.
I didn't mind. She was pretty cool.
She would help me gang up on my brother... and Ian and I got to gang up on her.

Karrone was an only child. So it was always the three of us from that point on.
It was never awkward to spend time with them. well... maybe sometimes.
They both made such an effort to include me.
Even when I was a pre-teen bitch and wouldn't accept offers for rides to school, or hang outs cause I was too cool lame. (sorry bout that...)

As the years went by, Karrone and Ian stayed together.
I watched Ian prepare for their first Valentine's day together, anniversary's, and graduations.
Karrone and I would hang out just the two of us too.
We would go for coffee, shopping, get our nails done... it was so cool to have an older "sister."
There are stories upon stories that only her and I know.
She became my role model, the person I looked up to the most.

I went through some rough stages of life.
Wasn't the nicest to the people who loved me the most.
I was in turmoil with myself and was so insecure that it came out on other people.
My family, Karrone included, still loved me anyways.

When Karrone asked me to be a part of her bridal party, I jumped at the chance to agree.
Through the process of helping with the wedding, planning bachlorette's and bridal showers,
I realized something.
Karrone had been, and always would be; not only my sister, but my best friend.
See, when your brother or sister get married, and you gain a "in-law"... it's really amazing.
But in this situation, Karrone gained her first sibling. I gained my first sister.
I know that Karrone will always, hands down, be there for me.
To know in your heart that, you will always have someone at bat for you... through thick and thin...
through awkward pre-teen outbursts and living together... is rare and really special.


I'm truly blessed with the greatest older brother, who just happened to choose 
a pretty outstanding wife.
<3 







No comments:

Post a Comment