Friday, August 16, 2013

Steps 4, BILT

I know, I know...
Lauren, take off your sappy pants...
But this one is going to be a mix of funny and sweet!
My epic little family of 4 started with my amazing, dedicated and compassionate parents in 1984!
They were married in Nova Scotia...
Dad wore a lovely brown tux... and Mom wore a homemade wedding dress (think buttons and lace! adorbs).
Flowers were yellow and mustaches were a must...
Soon after, my parents has a darling little baby boy...
Ian Alexander was born on January 9th, 1987.
He was a chubby bunny... but what a sweet little bunny! Blue eyes, blonde hair! <3

My parents have made many moves throughout their lives.
To say that they are master packers/movers is an understatement.
My parents (and grandparents) built a house in Halifax on Bluenose Court.
Quickly after the house was done, and barely lived in... they moved to Peace River, Alberta.
My dad worked in the oil/gas and pulp/paper for a little while too!
So most of our moves were due to his job... which I'm super grateful for.
In Peace River, a miracle happened...
Lauren Hope was born December 12, 1990.
The perfect child was born as an early Christmas present.
I'm kidding... (no I'm not... but I think I hurt Ian's feelings.)

Throughout our moves...
Peace River > New Brunswick > a different house in New Brunswick > Ontario > Spruce Grove > Fort McMurray > Edmonton
We've always all agreed that the best part of our moves is always knowing that we can depend on each other.
Family isn't perfect, hell, Ian and I used to slam doors in each others faces, fight over who washed and who dried, give the silent treatment, and fight about putting on socks...
My parents said the usual "When I ask you to do something, I want you to do it.", "clean your room", "pick up after yourself", "Your mother isn't your maid", "Don't give me attitude"... etc.
We had family conversations on Saturday/Sunday mornings where we would all end up in the living room together, in our jammies, just chatting.
Sometimes about random things, funny things, or about the fight we had last night, or Lauren's ability to eat the entire supply of Christmas bark.
My family IS amazing.
We struggle to get through the new chapters of life sometimes...
Me living on my own, Ian getting married, my parents living 400km away from us, losing our family dog...
Just like every family, there are ups and downs...
But guess what? Not like other families... mine will always be there.
For any and every occasion, my brother/sister in law & parents will always be just a phone call away.
These 3 are my favorite.

Ian:
Ian is a strong, independent, intelligent, successful, and fun older brother.
Ian has given up a lot in his life so that I can have a great life.
There are countless stories of giving up his hamburger, cause mine was ordered wrong...
Biking me to and from my swimming lessons every summer.
Giving up time he could have been spending with his friends, so that he could babysit me.
Letting me live with him when I was a less than impressive human being.
&& most recently, picking me up from a date when my flip flop broke and I couldn't get to my car...
Some of the above, Ian didn't really have a choice about... but some of them, he did cause he loved me.
There are photos of Ian playing his little guitar for me as a baby, holding me on his lap in lawn chairs, trying to make me laugh with silly faces and my arms wrapped tightly around him at graduation.
I'm one lucky younger sister.
&& I know it.

Mom:
Mom is a dedicated, passionate, warm, friendly, never ending un-conditional loving MOM.
Obviously, mom's are rock stars.
They give up a lot in their lives so that you can have everything and more.
This is true (of both my parents). My mom has always done this.
Whether it be spending money, time, working extra hours/jobs... my mom did it all.
From homemade clothes, to banana chocolate chip muffins...
Sometimes, I didn't realize I had it SO good... and I wish I did.
But now, I'm grateful... sooo sooo grateful for this woman in my life who gave what she could to us as kids.
My mom fought for us, no matter what. Taught me what right and wrong was, protected us and loved us even after we lied about taking karate and having to do stretches for figure skating...
Even 400km away, I feel her love.
<3

Dad:
My daddy... I am a daddy's girl, if you haven't already gathered that.
My dad is a determinded, selfless, hilarious, caring, all knowing and loving DAD.
He rarely does something for himself. My dad always ensures that his family is taken care of long before he'll even think about replacing an old pair of jeans...
He sacrificed living with his family, in order to make a better life for his family. He moved ahead of all of us and spent time without his wife and kids, trying to create a better life for us.
I will always be grateful.
Even though he yelled at me that one time I ran out in front of a car to save the family dog...
He loves me. SO much.
I'm a very proud daughter, and I know that I can call him with anything... and I do.
"Hey dad... umm, are my side mirrors supposed to bend in towards the window in this car...?" (after hitting a pylon with it...
"Hey dad... quick question, do you think I'll make it to Spruce Grove with my gas light on?"
You get the point... All of lifes questions, my dad can answer.
Well for the most part... "Hey muffin, great blog post today... but what does "totes" mean??"

Steps4, BILT... I love you all so very very much...
You'll never understand how grateful I am to have you as My Family.





1 comment:

  1. This was awesome! Makes me love and miss each of you even MORE than I do every day!

    ReplyDelete