Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's a loooong one! Grab your butt cushions! Part I

I figure if I'm going to have a blog, I'm going to have to be open and honest.

So...
Lauren meets Guy. It takes a few months to get Lauren to really want to be in a relationship with Guy. Guy is infatuated with Lauren. Lauren decides to give him a chance.
Followed over the next year and a bit... Guy and Lauren are together, Lauren gets scared and breaks up with Guy.
         I was young... stupid, scared and had ZIPPO trust in the other gender. Except my daddy. And my brother. That's IT!

Grab kleenex my friends... This part was TOUGH.  Everything is still vivid in my mind. September long weekend. Labour day. My dad was away working, my brother was moved out for a while now. So things were always just me and mom. She had the day off work, and so did I. We decided to spend the lovely sunny day out and about. On our way home, I had to pull the car over (I had just gotten my license so was soaking up every driving opportunity) to let an ambulance drive by. Both my mom and I panicked when we saw the ambulance turn down our street. We took the long way around, curious to know where the ambulance had parked itself... Sirens got louder and louder as we turned the corner closest to our house. There it was.

The ambulance was parked on the sidewalk across the street from my house. At a very close family friends house. BACK STORY: I moved to this street when I was 10. I immediately took my babysitting course and started to babysit kids in the neighbourhood. Enter Little G. He and his brother were my favorite. We would build forts, bike ride, go on walks to the parks, bake, watch awesome disney movies and play boardgames. His brother was an amazing athlete. Unfortunately, Little G was bound to a wheelchair after many years of digression of his body. But this had NO effect on how Little G looked at life. My favorite words he ever said to me were that "dreams are free". I'll never forget him.

So, from that paragraph there, I'm sure you've all connected the dots and realized that Little G was in trouble. I don't want to get into details, but later that night we lost a beautiful little boy. I also lost a part of me when Little G went to heaven. I wasn't the same person for months. I was 18 when Little G passed away. I didn't understand. And in turn, I pushed everyone I loved away.

Guy and I took a break.

Fast forward: I'm mending. Figuring out death sucks, but it's a part of life. Guy's moved out, we're pretty serious at this point. No more going back and forth. I took a personal development course (mainly to sort out my emotions of losing Little G) which long story short, made me finally realize all I really want is Love. To get love, I was gunna have to open up juuuuust enough to try and make this work. I remember having a conversation with Guy about how I had learnt that I was scared, that I didn't trust men and ultimately that I was willing to give this a shot. We ended up staying together from this point on.

TONS of stuff happened, changes in both of our lives. Career changes and just life happened. But we managed to stick together. I was starting to feel the love and really trust Guy. We were inseprable.

My family ended up leaving the city. My mom and dad settled in a new town so my dad wouldn't have to travel and be away so much anymore. I had the opportunity to make some really good money before I went into University. He also had the opportunity to work for good money. So we took em. That meant a loooong long distance for Guy and I.

We did it... It sucked, but it worked, we made it work. There were times we would go months without seeing each other. But it was the best thing for us, individually. When I finally moved back to Edmonton to go to school, Guy came back from working away too. It was kind of an adjustment, getting into a routine and thinking about your significant other. But I was so happy to be back. Completely relieved. Just sayin... I'm NOT military wife material. Props to those of you who can do it. But I loved Guy sooo much. I hated every second being away from him. So when the semester ended, and I had yet another opportunity to go back to my old job and make boat loads o cash again, I needed to figure out a way Guy could come too!

We found Guy a job, working with a great company. He moved in with my mom, dad, brother (he was soaking up the cash to save for his upcoming wedding) and I. My parents are the BOMB. Seriously. They fed us, housed us and loved us for 5 months. There were some trying times for sure. But we all stuck together and made it work!

My family, my brother's wedding 2011. 
 

All of a sudden, it was August and a new semester back in Edmonton was just around the corner...





No comments:

Post a Comment