Sunday, March 16, 2014

RunDisney Race Recap

RunDisney race: Disney Princess Half Marathon

So here's a recap of the race itself as well as my opinion and thoughts on RunDisney races!
I realize that not everyone will feel the same way that I feel about this... so again, I repeat... MY OPINION:

1. We arrived the Friday before the race. I wanted to have a relax vacation after my race instead of being exhausted before I had to run 13.1 miles. We stayed in a condo type place - that way we could cook our own meals & I could create a comfy Lauren space before my race.

2. Pre-race fuel. Of what little races I've ran, the majority of my training took place in the evenings, so I just went with something I knew I would eat & enjoy the morning of the race. My go to is Peanut Butter toast & activia yogurt. I was soooo nervous before this race that I could barely get through the two pieces of toast I made. So even though I wasn't planning to, I packed a granola bar to slowly eat throughout the race just in case I got crazy hungry... and I did!

3. Race Outfit choices: I ran in Lululemon Wunder Under Crops, a lululemon halter tank & a disney minnie mouse tank. My shoes are asics and I wouldn't even go to anything else for a running shoe. I have a pretty neutral foot, so I don't need much compensation & asics always provide a comfy home for my feets! I wore Nike dri-fit socks... shockingly a sock that tells you if it's a Left foot or a Right foot, makes a difference. I love the compression they give me and they are more padded in some areas than in others. I also ran with the Nathan Minimist Hydration vest. I ran with this during my 10km, but I'll be honest, I don't think I spent enough time making sure that the vest was strapped to me properly. About an hour and a half in, I was in major back pain and I knew taking off the vest was going to relieve it... but I also knew I wouldn't want to put it back on. Other than that, I LOVE that thing. Keeps your water cold and has handy little pockets for lots of goodies. I also more often than not, run with a hat on. I find that it blocks sun & helps from sweat running down my forehead.


4. Prepping for the race: I somewhat wish I had have tried to meet some other people travelling from here for the race. It would have been really nice to meet some other ahead of time, just to see some familiar faces on the road.

5. I will say that I really enjoyed the RunDisney experience. My bib was personalized with "Princess Lauren" written on the front. It was also customized by colour for your favourite princess. Mine is Belle so my bib was Yellow & purple. I didn't spend a ton of time at the Expo. I did get my free t-shirt and little mesh bag to carry my things in. However, I was disappointed that there weren't more free trial sized things from the expo. I mean come on... free shit rocks. AmIright? For the overall price of the race ($160) I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of water stations/powerade stations & the Gu station that was on the race. (*I did not stop here... Gu freaks me out*) Of course my favourite part was the medal. It is STUNNING. And I'll be honest, I carry it in my purse right now. I looooove showing that puppy off. I was NOT happy with the route of the race. It wasn't really "running through Disney" as I had expected. I'm curious to know if the Disneyland race will be different.

6. Overall, the amount of people there to help field people & answer the many questions of people was outstanding. There wasn't a second of the whole race that there wasn't someone available for us. It was truly awesome to have so much support. Majority of the people were shouting uplifting messages to us all as we ran through water stations, cheering stations or even from picking up garbage on the side of the road.

Would I run a RunDisney race again? Absolutely. But I would NEVER do it alone again. I totally respect that some people just need to do their races independently... but I so need the extra push from people. Here's a few more photos, and I promise... no more "I RAN A FREAKIN HALF MARATHON" all over the blog. ; )






No comments:

Post a Comment